Wednesday, December 14, 2005

4Way

This is a little late considering it's Wednesday, but I had to share something from this weekend with you.
Even though I had to work this weekend, I went out for a few hours on Saturday night to decompress. One of the old "regulars" from Tam's opened his own bar back in March and some of us "TimTammer's" go there once in a while because he has live bands. Which, in my opinion, usually suck ass. Anyway, there was a band playing that Bryan and I hadn't heard of, so we decided to check it out. Their name was "4Way", which, of course, instantly grabbed my attention. Heh!
We walk in, grab a couple of drinks, and try to find a table. I was just excited to finally be able to sit down for a second.
I take a swig of my cocktail, light a cigarette, and ease back in my chair....and that's when I saw them....The band.
They were up on stage, tuning their instruments and doing a sound check....and they were 15 years old....16 maybe. I almost choked on my drink! Not that there's anything wrong with that....in a garage, maybe. But, in a bar....on a Saturday night?
We just happened to pick the table right in front of one of their parents. Which I thought was humorous. I'm sitting there starting to wonder why God hates me so much....when they finally started playing. I couldn't speak. They were out of this world!
You know, growing up with my dad in a band and always being around music, I'm a pretty harsh critic. I don't give people props just because they can strum a guitar. I want to feel through the music that you love what you're doing. Does that make any sense?
Anyway, back to the teeny boppers.
Come to find out, they were all sophomores at one of our local Catholic High Schools. There were only three of them: the bass player, who also played keyboards; the drummer; and the guitar player, who was also the singer. They broke out with Ted Nugent, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest, KISS.....I can't even remember who all they played....because I was in shock. I think the thing that got me more than their talent, was the genre of music they were playing. I mean, most kids their age probably don't even know who Rush is....let alone know the music and lyrics well enough to play it. I was very impressed.
To see 15 year olds play "Stranglehold" and not miss a beat is just something I NEVER thought I would see. I really think they will be something some day. Not only can they play the shit out of anything they tried, but they had great senses of humor. Some guy in the back of the room yelled out for them to play "System of the Down", to which the guitar player replied (with his hand on his hip): "Son, when I was your age....." he didn't get any farther because they whole place erupted in hysteria. Remember, he's only 15 years old. It was priceless.
The funniest part of the whole night was this lady that was sitting behind us at a table full of people. She was about half-blasted and announced that it was her 50th birthday! She then follows that by telling everyone that she can't believe she just turned 50 and she's rocking out to a bunch of 15 year olds. The whole place started rollin'.
Here's some pics of the Fab Three - they don't have much....just them and their instruments - but, honestly, they didn't need any fancy light show or anything....they were awesome - and I may be their newest Number One Fan!!!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Skye Opined...

Awesome.I had to reread it because I thought I missread it. 15 huh. Raises a mug in salute to the Band.

December 14, 2005 11:54 AM  
Blogger Jinsane Opined...

I know - I couldn't believe it! Don't they look so young and cute! At least it wasn't a school night! LOL

December 14, 2005 12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous Opined...

How cool is that?!? I would love to have been there. They sound great!

December 14, 2005 12:00 PM  
Blogger Jinsane Opined...

It was pretty intense. The whole night kinda felt surreal. I mean, these kids weren't even a twinkle in they're daddys' eyes when this music came out. ;o)

December 14, 2005 12:07 PM  
Blogger TwistedPain Opined...

I am like you, growing up with my father's band in bars and being around music so much in my life, I tend to be very critical. I can tell one off note even when its a good artise or the same artist doing the song. I also have good friends that have bands and one of my best friend's brothers had a band back in that age group years ago. They were very talented and I've come to expect that stuff now but it was a shock at first.

December 14, 2005 2:21 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth Opined...

Maybe they got the tune knowledge from their parent's plyed tunes... My kids know everything I listened to...

December 14, 2005 5:21 PM  
Blogger Neo Opined...

Jen -Sounds like they rocked.

December 14, 2005 6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home