Friday, April 20, 2007

Derby Festival Kickoff....And Other Things.....

I have a few different things to post about today, so bear with me.

PART I:


My sister, bro-in-law and Bella Boo are headed back to New York this morning. God, I will miss them so much. It almost hurts me to see them when they are in town for such a short period, because it's the same heartache all over again when they leave. Melly is staying in town for one more night and then my mom is flying back up to New York to spend a week before coming back home. She is going to be so heart-broken to leave them. Those babies are her world.


We all went out to dinner last night and had a really good time. My sister then came back to my house and cut my hair and watched Grey's Anatomy with me. I REALLY enjoyed it. I wish she could have stayed over for a few more hours. We ALWAYS have so much fun when we get together....and that makes me miss her even more.


I really enjoyed spending time with Bella too. Remember, she was born here last June, while her Dad was in Afghanistan, and then when he returned, they had to go back to the base in New York. So, I haven't had as much time to bond with her as I had with Melly. Regardless, she is just precious!! My sister definitely has two gorgeous children!!!


My mom took this last night as I was saying goodbye to Bella. I sure do love having babies around!!! She is such a handful!


PART II:

I hope this gives everyone else chills, as much as it did me.

I got this email Wednesday right before I was heading over to my parents' house to see Melly. I thought it was the greatest story, and one that I will always remember. Please take a second to read it - it's really short.....but worth it.

Last week, I took my children to a restaurant. My six-year-old son asked if he could say grace. As we bowed our heads he said, "God is good, God is great. Thank you for the food, and I would even thank you more if Mom gets us ice cream for dessert. And Liberty and justice for all! Amen!"

Along with the laughter from the other customers nearby, I heard a woman remark, "That's what's wrong with this country. Kids today don't even know how to pray. Asking God for ice cream! Why, I never!"

Hearing this, my son burst into tears and asked me, "Did I do it wrong? Is God mad at me?" As I held him and assured him that he had done a terrific job, and God was certainly not mad at him, an elderly gentleman approached the table. He winked at my son and said, "I happen to know that God thought that was a great prayer."

"Really?" my son asked. "Cross my heart," the man replied.

Then, in a theatrical whisper, he added (indicating the woman whose remark had started this whole thing), "Too bad she never asks God for ice cream. A little ice cream is good for the soul sometimes."

Naturally, I bought my kids ice cream at the end of the meal. My son stared at his for a moment, and then did something I will remember the rest of my life. He picked up his sundae and, without a word, walked over and placed it in front of the woman. With a big smile he told her, "Here, this is for you. Ice cream is good for the soul sometimes; and my soul is good already."

OK...now I am really going somewhere with this....

My mom, sister, Melly and I are HUGE zoo freaks. We are members of our local zoo, and went every Saturday during Summer when they were home. We love the animals and it's great exercise!! Anyway, mom and I had just gone to the zoo the weekend before. We have a new baby elephant there that is just the cutest thing. As mom and I were walking out of the zoo, I fell in love with a baby elephant stuffed animal. It was just so sweet looking and had huge blue eyes like Melly. I told mom I wish I wasn't so old and broke, because I would really love to have it. It was just adorable.


Long story short.....they had taken Melly to the zoo earlier on Wednesday, and her Daddy bought her that stuffed elephant. I told her how much I had loved it when I was at the zoo, and that it was so cute and reminded me of her. I spent a couple more hours over there before it was time for me to leave. And, of course, I started crying. I just love that child so much....and I wish so badly that they lived here.

I started to walk out the door and Melly came running up behind me. She said, "Aunt Jen-Jen....here", and handed me the elephant. She said, "You look so sad, why don't you take the elephant and you can always think of me." I looked at her with those innocent six-year-old beautiful eyes and sweet smile....and immediately thought of the child in that email. It was so weird to read something like that right before I went for my visit, and then have her do almost the same thing. It was just so moving for me. Of course, I didn't take the elephant, even though I secretly wanted it!! LMAO!
It was just one of those sweet moments I will ALWAYS remember.


PART III:


Tomorrow is the kick-off to the Derby Festival....Thunder Over Louisville. If you all have never heard of this or seen it, you should really check out my post from last year....should be in late April. It is one of the biggest firework displays in the nation and is just an awesome sight. Plus, it kicks off two weeks of madness in Louisville. The Derby is coming folks, which means Summer isn't far behind.
I hope you guys have a great weekend. I'm going to try.
Remember: Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting.
XO - Jinsane

13 Comments:

Blogger Not So Anon.. Opined...

I almost lost hope that you would post today... thanks! Always a bright spot in the day.
It's Friday!

April 20, 2007 12:01 PM  
Blogger Blissfully Wed Opined...

Nice read.

One day, I'll make it to Thunder Over Louisville. A co-worker is from there and raves about it around this time of year.

April 20, 2007 12:15 PM  
Blogger Jinsane Opined...

NSA: Never Fear...Jen Is Here!!!

Bliss: Thanks for always stopping by...if you and the other sexy one ever want to come up this way, let me know!!!

April 20, 2007 12:18 PM  
Blogger Not So Anon.. Opined...

so, how will you be entertaining me today as i cope with another day working away?

April 20, 2007 12:23 PM  
Blogger Jinsane Opined...

Well, I won't be entertaining for long because I have to clean up my office for the big THUNDER party tomorrow. My office looks out right over the river, so it's an awesome place to watch it. Plus, I'm leaving early today. Whoo Hoo!! It's 70 and sunny and I can't wait to get out of here.

Do you think you can handle it by yourself today?? ;o)

April 20, 2007 12:37 PM  
Blogger Not So Anon.. Opined...

CRAP! I'm not sure I will be able to get through. I guess I will have to spend my time planning a Friday patio happy hour.
After much thought... I think I might have started a "blog" (hate that word, almost as much as I hate the word "blimp.' I know..wierd)

April 20, 2007 12:46 PM  
Blogger Jinsane Opined...

NSA: I have commented on your new blog.

April 20, 2007 12:54 PM  
Blogger Not So Anon.. Opined...

Thanks! I read it and commented back..I see how this could get very confusing (comments on both blogs...)

April 20, 2007 12:58 PM  
Blogger Wiwille Opined...

"Remember: Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting."

Don't remember that from the sermon on the mount, but it's still worth hearing.

April 20, 2007 1:14 PM  
Blogger Jinsane Opined...

NSA: Yeah, this is harder than work!! LMAO

WW: Glad you enjoyed!!! XO

April 20, 2007 1:15 PM  
Blogger Not So Anon.. Opined...

which one should I be talking to you through? I left one on mine

April 20, 2007 1:31 PM  
Blogger Em Opined...

Thanks for visiting my blog. That led me here. And I got to read a nice long post with many thoughts and sharings. I must admit, the story of the kid and the ice cream is a winner!

I look forward to visiting again!

April 20, 2007 11:02 PM  
Blogger Skye Opined...

Moving as always! Hey keep me posted on the front runners! :)

April 21, 2007 11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home