Tuesday, April 25, 2006

And The Thunder Rolls....

As the storm blows on
Out of control
Deep in her heart
The thunder rolls
~Garth Brooks~



This weekend was an absolute blast! The air show was incredible and the fireworks were amazing, as always. How can you go wrong with over a million dollars worth of fireworks??
My Sister, Melly, and I started the day off at my office. Of course, before we could go up, we had to go through a security check point, at which time we were given ID badges and bracelets that had to be worn at all times. We felt like real VIP's! LOL!
We stayed upstairs for a while, before Melly started begging to walk down to the River Front.
Could anyone resist this?
People came down real early to stake out their spots. We had a record attendance this year of over 800,000!
Melly really wanted this trumpet, which they were selling down on the "strip". She proceeded to blast that thing for the next hour....non-stop!
I was then awarded with some "Melly Lovin's" (notice that she hasn't put the trumpet down yet!) before we headed back to my office to watch some of the air show!
My sister pointed out how eerie it was to be in the tallest building in town and have these planes flying so close. Sometimes, they were heading right toward us! It was pretty crazy!
I wanted to post this picture to give you an idea of how things looked during the day. This is the same window that we watched the fireworks from. I'm not sure if you will be able to see them, but right above the bridge, there are about 200+ boats in the water. Law enforcement won't let them get any closer to the bridge on Thunder Day. Also, right on the water's edge is the "Great Lawn" and it's packed elbow-to-elbow with people. They're even staking out spots on the rooftops!
LET THE SHOW BEGIN!
I know these pictures really don't need an explanation, but I did want to say this: They shoot the fireworks off of barges that are positioned on either side of the bridge, but they also fire them from the bridge, which is why you see three different sets of lights. The coolest thing about THUNDER is that each barge fires them simultaneously, and in sync with music that is blasting all over downtown. It really is a sight!!! (Of course, I took over 100 pictures, and I had a really hard time choosing which ones to show you!) I have to represent, right??
What a fantastic show! It is impossible to not be in awe of what you're watching!
It was Melly's first Thunder! We all had a great time.....
Until we got caught in this:
Then Melly's smile turned to this:
LOL!!!
It was a great day and I loved spending it with my sister and my niece! I wish we could do it more often!
BTW: I may take tomorrow off from posting! This post took me two days and six attempts!!! I'm worn out!

14 Comments:

Blogger Neo Opined...

Jen - Good for you! Glad you had a good time! Great photo's!

April 25, 2006 9:10 PM  
Blogger Michael K. Althouse Opined...

But worth it! Enjoy tour day off,

~Mike

April 26, 2006 12:59 AM  
Blogger Wiwille Opined...

Looks like fun times were had by all.

April 26, 2006 7:10 AM  
Blogger Jinsane Opined...

Neo: Thanks! I think the pics turned out pretty good!

Mr. A: I would enjoy it - if I was off from work!

WW: Yeah - we had a great, but exhausting, time! ;o)

April 26, 2006 9:29 AM  
Blogger TwistedPain Opined...

Beautiful! Looks like a real sight to see. Thanks for sharing.

April 26, 2006 1:27 PM  
Blogger Ellen Opined...

Great story and so lovely punctuated by your pictures. I love fireworks, and would have enjoyed this event myself!

Glad to see you all had a wonderful time! Enjoy your day off the blog, chickadee. This looks like it took awhile to put together, and you deserve the break!

April 26, 2006 1:33 PM  
Blogger Jinsane Opined...

Twisty: Wish you could have been here!

Ellen: You would have had a blast! Maybe next year??? ;o)

April 26, 2006 1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous Opined...

Absolutely Fantastic! And how much better that all would have been in real life!

That cinches it: I am going to see that show sometime in the next few years! I'll be sure to look you up and say hi when I do!

April 26, 2006 5:03 PM  
Blogger alannajoy Opined...

AWESOME PICS JJ!! Love it!! Looks like you three sure had a blast together! Thanks for sharing with us!

alannajoy

April 27, 2006 7:53 AM  
Blogger Jinsane Opined...

Nilo: That would be wonderful!!!!

AJ: We really did have a good time! Hope all is well with you!

April 27, 2006 10:50 AM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth Opined...

Thanks for persistantly prevailing with the blogger-bugger uploading. Great shots!

April 29, 2006 2:04 AM  
Blogger Jinsane Opined...

Snags: I've missed ya!

April 30, 2006 3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous Opined...

Wow, those fireworks were really beautiful!!!

May 02, 2006 12:11 PM  
Blogger Jinsane Opined...

Tan: Yes they were! It's definitely a wonderful experience!

May 03, 2006 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home